Pages

Monday, September 30, 2013

Scriptural History

I am absolutely in love with this:

Victory to the People

The title doesn't at all convey what you're getting. It's the story of the Bible, not the Bible story. The history of the text.  With a tone that I can't get over. Any time anyone can say, "Eusebius of Nicomedia got all butthurt over this, and remained pissed off for the rest of his life," that's worth celebrating.

I spoke with Eusebius of Nicomedia briefly, and he said, "I'm still not over it."  So there you have it.  I won't quote; you should read the whole thing

Okay, I will guote:

(When Constantine heard this he said, “Can’t you guys just get along? Why not agree to disagree like every other friggin’ philosopher since Plato was a pup, and get on with your lives?” to which both sides answered “No!!!!eleventy!!!” and thus Nicea.

Come on. How can you not like that.

Some time after that, Constantine went to Eusebius of Caesarea and said, “Yo, Pamphili!” (Eusebius’ friends called him “Pamphili”), “You’ve got the biggest collection of fanzines in the world. How about you put together the teaching anthology?”

Yeah.  That's good stuff.  Go. Read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your point of view or respond to someone else's, but I do moderate and I will shamelessly delete comments which don't meet my strict and ever-changing standards of quality.That's mostly a joke; I'll delete you if you use racist terms or aren't civil without just cause, things like that. And please utilize some form of spell-checking. There's no reason not to.